Wednesday, July 8, 2009

'hang out' in the ER


8th July @ 2313


Just an update on what had happened today before i get started with my readings.After 2 weeks of complete hibernation on lazing around,it was a tedious task to wake up at 6.30 am today.Night went to bed early(so not like me) but I was tossing from right to left and vice versa,simply because I couldn't bring myself to fall asleep!!I have the slightest idea when i dozed off but pretty sure that I slept after 2 hours i hit my bed!


I woke up without alarm 10 minutes before 6.30 am.Dad came knocking on the door as the alarm clock striked.I wanted to pull the blanket and stay in the bed but an inner voice shouted "GET UP!!!!"..right then,jumped off the bed and got ready to hospital.


Reached there,it's indeed a small hospital compared to Ipoh GH.Dad accompanied.We went to the administrative building,the director of the hospital was in a conference and we had to wait for her at the E & A department.Waited and waited..everyone thought I was the new intern,waiting to join their team.A M.A even handed me a book to to verify something whilst i was enquiring about the doctors which I'm supposed to be seeing!!!


Waiting for alomost an hour then a doctor on duty said I should come back after lunch since the director was busy.So here you go,I came back home.At 1pm,I drove there and at 2 pm,I managed to get a glimpse of Dr.Prema(the director) and she directed(carrying out her duty) me to report myself at to Dr.Lee in E & A.And again,I took a walk and went there.Dr.Lee, a female doctor who didn't actually bothered to ask me what I'm supposed to do,she just took a glance at my application forms,nodded with the sound "mmm,mmm,' then off she went leaving my forms behind on the table after saying "you can HANGOUT here"..can you actually HANG OUT in wards moreover when it's E& A?.I stood there cluelessly,watching the fastidious team admitting the non severe emergency cases.


Out of nowhere,a junior of mine from med. school greeted,which later joined by two other medic students from Moscow.I WAS really relieved.Without wasting more time,I immediately clad myself with my white coat and joined their team.A worker even wished me 'selamat berjaya' after enquiring teh reason of my presence there.


The emergency department in batu gajah hospital is not so alarming like in ipoh gh.The atmosphere was more relaxed.School childrens comprised majority of its patient.One of the boys had a cut on distal phalanx of his thumb,a 4 year old boy with atopic dermatitis and bronchopneumonia,a little boy with hematuria and proteinuria,a psychiatric patient with drug abuse,an old singh man with severe vomitting and diarrhea,a golf resort worked who had been bitten by a snake,a form 1/2 young female student with asthma(had cardiac asthma previously),and the latest admittance was a woman with severe hypergylcemia.


I hope tomorrow will be more promising.Based on the feedback that i got,Dr.Joshita will be taking students for rounds every day at 8am.Isn;t that great?I'm beginning to think that she is more like Dr.Lee in Ipoh GH.I'm keen to go back there as the group i belong to this time is more dedicated..so below are the new changes in my routine:


1.Wake up before the sun rises- at 6 am.


2.The drive actually takes only 30 minutes one way..if I accellerate,guess can reach in 20 minutes:P


3.Be at the hospital atleast at 8.15am.


4.Learn as much as possible..*semangat*


5.Readings at night:)


6.outings,outings..subha,vicks,you guys have to go out without me for the time being...


7.working hours: 8am till 5 pm.


boy,don't I just love my summer holidays?


2348


2 comments: